Field Appraiser Position
SAN PATRICIO COUNTY APPRAISAL DISTRICT
Job Title: Field Appraiser
Salary Range: $42,500
Schedule: Full-time, (overtime/weekends as required)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Deadline: The deadline to submit applications for this position is Friday, December 15, 2017.
General Description: The San Patricio Central Appraisal District has employment vacancies for the position of Field Appraiser and is currently seeking applicants for Field Appraises in all levels of experience. Reporting directly to the Assistant Chief Appraiser, this position performs field appraisal work and/or market analysis on assigned properties to produce accurate and credible property valuation estimates for the tax jurisdictions served by the San Patricio Central Appraisal District.
- Serves as field appraiser for the District to estimate fair market value using generally accepted appraisal practice and mass appraisal concepts as outlined in USPAP (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice) and IAAO Standards on properties as assigned.
- Executes judgment regarding property values and engages in negotiations to resolve problems with property owners in accordance with office procedures/protocol.
- Initiates changes to the appraisal records as appropriate.
- Discovery, analysis of market sales, property inspections, and data collection which includes photographing and measuring.
- Process building permits for new and existing residential construction.
- Reading and interpreting plats, maps, deeds, blueprints, and other similar documents.
- Creates reports, queries and other statistical data to support value estimates as outlined in appraisal manuals.
- Public Speaking and writing correspondence as assigned.
- Communicate effectively with Managers, co-workers, and property owners.
- Represent Appraisal District at Appraisal Review Board as assigned in explaining/defending estimates value.
- Drives district vehicles to conduct all applicable field work.
- Obtain RPA designation by the TDLR (Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation) in accordance with applicable state law cost is covered by the District.
- Maintains high standards of ethics, integrity and confidentiality.
- Compliance with all District policies; and
- Other duties as assigned, including special projects and assisting co-workers.
- Understands and supports safety standards as required by the job; keeps the workplace clean and safe.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma is required.
- Four-year Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited College or University is strongly preferred and will be given preferential consideration, especially a degree in business, financial or governmental related field
- Valid Texas Driver License and/or equivalent ability to legally operate a motor vehicle in Texas.
- Must successfully complete designated training courses, and obtain an RPA certification within three years of employment with the District in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Previous experience in an appraisal district or tax office is desirable.
- Experience in building construction and real estate appraisal methods and terminology is also preferred.
- Strong analytical skills, mathematical skills, and the ability read, interpret and understand blue prints, maps, real estate sales contracts, closing statements, deeds and other similar documents.
- Working knowledge of real estate appraisals including understanding of the three generally accepted approaches to value (cost, market and income approaches). This includes the ability to perform trend analyses on data relating to market conditions and real property.
- Knowledge of analytical techniques regarding research and documentation in relation to market conditions and their impact on the valuation of real property.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to operate photograph equipment (i.e. camera).
- Ability to use and correctly and accurately read a tape measure.
- Knowledge of how to operate a PC, including the ability to use computer programmed automated valuation models specifically developed for use in Mass Appraisal software along with geographic information systems (GIS).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word. Working knowledge of Access and SQL is desirable.
- Other areas of knowledge preferred are the ability to read and interpret financial statements, calculation of net operating income, and familiarization with capital and discount rates.
- Must be able to work under general supervision and perform field and office work as described in this document.
- Must be able to arrive and be ready to work before 8:00am and work through 5:00pm with one hour for lunch.
- Requires working evenings and weekends during certain times of year as directed by the District management
Position requires sitting, walking, bending, squatting, leaning, twisting, stretching arms, climbing up and down stairs, ramps, and grades for brief periods as described above. Also, using arms, wrists and fingers perform data entry or typing at computer keyboard, and to use and handle measuring and photographic equipment while standing, squatting, leaning, bending, or sitting. May require jumping or hopping over small puddles, and/or other small obstacles such as trenches, debris, mounds, and climbing over small fences or other similar barriers.
Will be required to conduct field work outside the office in all types of weather and all types of areas throughout the county as workload demands. Temperature may range up to over 100 degrees in summer and near freezing in winter. Generally, work is limited to indoor office work as described above during inclement weather. Hazards include driving district vehicle, exposure to high outdoor temperatures and sunlight, encountering and interacting with upset property owners, stray animals, and insects.
Field work required approximately 80% outdoors during months of August through March and 20% indoors
During months of April through July, approximately 20% Field work outdoors and 80% office work indoors.
- APPLICANT MUST PASS CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK AND PASS PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN.
- SUBMIT RESUME TO ROBERT CENCI, CHIEF APPRAISER, AT firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O. Box 938
Sinton, Texas 78387-0938
Monday - Friday
January 2, 2023 – New Years Day
January 16, 2023 – Martin Luther King Day
April 7, 2023 – Good Friday
May 29, 2023 – Memorial Day
June 19, 2023 – Juneteenth
July 4, 2022 – Independence Day
September 4, 2023 – Labor Day
November 10, 2023 – Veterans Day
November 23 & 24, 2023 – Thanksgiving
December 25 & 26, 2023 – Christmas